Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Assignment 11 - Study Models Based on Collages

For this assignment we were supposed to do 3 study models for each collage on the previous assignment. 

1. Study models based on my "Site Impression Collage". When I was doing these models, I was thinking about the day we went to visit our site and it was a really hot day and I felt like an ice, as if I was melting. So, one thing that I thought about when ice melts is that it disintegrates, it falls apart to become something else. Also, even though it was a hot day we were able to feel better when we stand on the shadows, which is also something that I tried to do with my models. They show how they disintegrate and create shadows. 



1A





1B




1C



 2. Models based on the "Adventurous Collage". When I was doing these models, I thought about the word adventurous and for me this means new ideas, something risky but it could be fun as well. So, I decided to incorporate legos into my models showing that they could be used as a structure or support and obviously legos are fun to work. 

2A




2B




2C

3. Study models based on the "Program Collage". When I was doing these models, I thought about my program. I will be designing a Culinary School with a Media center. Even though they are two different subjects they can still be combined and become one thing. So what I tried to do here was combining two different materials that at the end even though their texture and color is different they can still help each other to become one. 

3A

3B



3C






6 comments:

  1. Nice play with forms but also textures on those.
    I would be very interested to see how far you can push your design study in order to have this building/void/shadow two (or three?) way conversation to work with your program.

    Remember that the higher the structure, the further the shadow projects from it, so unless we are talking nooks within the building, your shadow play from taller assemblies might be overshooting your site completely for the best parts of a day/year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work.. I'm very interested in seeing what comes of the first model "Ice Melt" image 1-4 and the 3rd model images 2-8. I feel that both of these could lead to fatalistic building forms and interior spaces. Just a a side not can you number of title each image so we can have a uniform way to talk about them. Keep up good work, I look forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is an interesting work but, I do not understand why you focus your designing in what you feel, I do not know if it is something that you have to do, though. Anyways, I think that is would be way more interested to see design bassed in how to solve the site with the surrundings, or creating a space that can answer to the hybrid building that you have to create.

    However, they are really cool models. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1B and 3C are very interesting, but I would like to see you further develop the models for collage 2 - try using a variety of materials not limiting yourself to paper and legos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Sandra

    I hope that you don't mind me making some comments ...

    Your studies are very interesting ... especially the ones that 'disintegrate' or 'blur' or perhaps 'pixelate' at the edges. The potential relationship to this and shade (orientation) could be promising.

    I also like the fact that you are possibly setting up a strategy for blurring outer boundaries and therefore extending the 'place' of you future proposal ... you may wish to read about 'circles of presence' - pages 99 to 102 of Analysing Architecture by Simon Unwin - link http://memari-hidaj.ir/wp-content/uploads/analysing-ARCHITECTURE.pdf

    Lastly you may find the work of sou fujimoto relevant - look up 'nomadic' and 'house N' - you should look at and 'read' about the concepts that underpin these projects.

    I can read your hard work - well done in making and documenting beautifully - keep it up!

    Best wishes
    David Whitter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone for the positive comments. Your reviews are helping me to develop my ideas and design. And David, please feel free to make comments and thank you for the information you shared.

    ReplyDelete